Saturday, July 25, 2015

Last Trip for the Week

Yesterday we went to check out the Bechtler House.  This is the home of the man that first minted the first gold dollar in the United States and it was right in my back yard.  Big T, grandma, Alli, and I are touring this time.  
We had a great time visiting with the family.  It really is amazing at how much history you can learn that is practically in your back yard.   I bet you think the gold rush started in California, nope.  It actually began in western North Carolina.  Christopher Bechtler began a mint to aid the gold miners of North Carolina.   He started in the early 1830's with a $5 gold coin and latter made a $2.50 and $1 gold coin.  Bechtler made the first gold dollar in the United States. 
I have hit the high points on all of our trips, please check out the websites I have mentioned for each trip to find out more or maybe even plan your own visit.  I think Big T has enjoyed his adventures this last two weeks, I know I have and I think we both have learned a lot.  Our trip would not be complete without a trip to see my sisters' house and to see her sweet goats.  Big T got some great pictures of them, he is quite the photographer.  We also went by one of our local high school agriculture barns to see their new piglets.   Check out Big T's pictures below.









No comments: