Saturday, October 14, 2017

Time Flies. . . Just When Your Kids Get Interesting. . .

Just when your kids get interesting and you really want to spend time with them and you can have meaningful conversations with them, they go and get lives of their own.   What???  The boys are growing up so quickly.  Sprat will be going off to school and Big T has started driver's education, the book work.  My days of  following them around from ball field to ball field are over and our new adventures begin.
Advice to mothers of toddlers:  take lots of pictures, hold and hug them every chance you get, read to them often, and do not let anyone tell you how to raise  your child.  Listen to everyone's advice but make your own decisions.  I was stern with my boys and there are some that would say I was too strict with them over candy and soda and stuff like that.  I do not regret the way I raised my boys, I think they turned out pretty good.  I will tell you, with regard to the soda and candy thing, once you open that door you cannot shut it.  I tried to keep my kids away from soda as long as I could because I know from my personal experience that it is not good for you and no child should be drinking diet soda.  (please remember these are my opinions) 
Sprat, now that he is older, has decided for himself to stop drinking soda and sugary drinks.  He has not had a soda or sugary drink for a little over a year now.  He drinks mostly water and occasionally he will drink sweet tea if we are out to eat but not very often. 
Big T is finishing his first grading period at his new school and so far he has all A's and one B.  He will be taking one college class next semester.  He seems to be adjusting to his new surroundings very well.  We took Big T and one of his new friends from school to the local Fair a week ago and they had a blast.  Sprat was dating and the hubbs and I were able to enjoy all of the exhibits at the Fair.  We turned Big T and his friend lose at the Fair and the hubbs and I walked around like we were teenagers again.  I think this means the hubbs and I might get to date again.  Shhhh, do not spread that around.  I am afraid to say that too loud or too often, for fear it might not happen. 
Stay tuned as our parenthood adventure changes speed and lanes frequently. . . .

2 comments:

Beth (A Mom's Life) said...

Congratulations to Jack!!!

And I read a blog recently about a woman whose son was going away to college. She said the college sent a list of things to make sure they had. But then she went on to say that her son thought most of those were useless and he went with only half the stuff the list said to bring. She figured he could buy other stuff once he got there if he really needed it. Also, the one thing she INSISTED on was shower clogs! And I would have to agree with that!

Pampered Mom said...

I have sifted through several lists on Pinterest to figure out what he might need. I totally agree with the shower clogs. I think this one may be a figure it out as we go kinda thing. I keeping my fingers crossed that we make it through this last year of high school.