Sunday, October 30, 2011

Football

Yesterday we had two games.  Jack played at 10 and Thomas played at 5.  It was so cold at the 10 game I was covered from head to toe.  I looked like I was preparing for nuclear winter.  The kids even had on multiple layers under their pads.  Jack wore 2 under armor shirts and a t-shirt too. 
We had an injury to one of our better ball players.  He broke both bones in his wrist.  He had to have surgery and pins put in that day.  It was very sad.  We were wining by 2 points at that time.  Our kids really came together and worked  as a team to win that game.  The sad part about all this is the way the other team behaved.   You try to teach your kids good sportsmanship and general good Christian behavior and it is so difficult at times because you have to battle others that are supposed to be adults and role models for the kids.  After our player was hurt Jack came off the field almost in tears because he was so mad.  I could see him talking with his Dad on the field and Mark said you go tell them what he said.  I knew then someone had said something ugly on the field.   I had no idea who or how ugly it was.
While our player, with the broken wrist, was laying on the ground after the hit the other teams' coach stood over him and said, "Take that number 8".   That was what Jack heard and he was mad.  Now I ask you, what kind of example is that setting for his team?  Why would an adult say that to a child laying on his back screaming in pain?  Why?  None of our coaches would have done that and I can say that with complete certainty.  Our coaches would have been checking to see if he was ok.  Not taunting him.
I am saddened deeply by this display.

No comments: