Friday, November 4, 2011

Knitting. . .

I am a part of our Prayer Shawl knitting ministry at my Church.  I am a beginner knitter.  Sorry for the bad grammar.  This is a group of women that knit shawls and squares for our sick, elderly, or anyone that may have lost a loved one.  We knit the shawls and squares and our Minister delivers them when needed.  We have only been doing this since the beginning of the year.  We have given many shawls and squares to people.  The squares are small knit pieces, almost like a pot holder, we call them prayer hugs.  We use these for kids and men.  The kids and most men would not use a shawl per say, but they can hug and hold a prayer square.  We also have lap shawls for the men as well.
As these items are made they are prayed over by the person making them.  Once they are complete the group  prays over them too.  We get together a couple of times a month to talk and knit and enjoy fellowship with one another.  Those of us that are beginners get help on our shawls where we have made mistakes and so on.  We also get advice along the way on how to do better the next time.  I am so glad to be a part of this ministry.
I learned to knit from my niece when she was in High School.  She is now in College. She and some of her college friends made baby blankets and took them to a local Hospital.   She inspires me.  I am excited I am almost finished with my shawl I have been working on for a while.  I knit very slowly.  We have thrown around the idea to make prayer scarves for our youth for Christmas.  That one is still up in the air. 

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

Sounds like a wonderful ministry to be a part of! I am sure you are blessing many people in your congregation with these shawls!