Friday, April 4, 2008

Shots??????

I had to take poor Thomas for his physical last Friday. He was due his shots before school. I did not tell him he was going to have shots. I kinda wormed my way out of it. I said, "I'm not sure, they might." I tried not to tell him he was going to get shots because I knew what would happen. When the nurse calls us back and began the weigh in and height check, Thomas asks, "Do I have to have shots?" Before I could but in the nurse says, "yes you are getting shots today." I could have screamed. All this time I kept saying I don't know, maybe and here she just blerts it out. Thomas immediately began his routine of hopping down the hall like a bunny and repeating, " I don't want shots." Over and over, "I don't want shots." Those of you that know him you can see this happening. Once we are in the room he starts in on; "will it hurt? Is the needle big? do they do it hard?" You can imagine these questions right? When the Doctor came in to do her exam she talked to him and tried to explain that he had to have shots to protect him. Again, those of you that know him know there is no way to reason with him.

He was so pitiful. I felt really bad about having to bring him to have this done. The nurses come in and start the prep for the shots. He had 5. Yes, 5 shots at one time. I thought there would only be 2 or 3 but 5 I was even in shock. He got up on the table himself without being told. He laid down and he pulled my face to his and said, "Mommy I want you right here." I told him I was not going anywhere. I pulled down his pants so they could get to his legs and Thomas did not want them to look at his underwear. He is a little modest. He put his fingers in his ears. I asked why he had his fingers in his ears and he replied, "I don't want to hear myself scream." That is so sad. He cried big tears. So much that he had wet the paper on the table. I lay across him and held his hands and the nurses said they would not do anything until he was ready. He took a deep breath and said, "NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!!!!" The nurses were surprised and said ok. He cried quite a bit and then calmed down and limped out of the room. He was pitiful. I felt so sorry for him. That really is a lot for a poor kid to take. He got some gummies from the checkout lady and was ok after that.

I am glad we don't have to do that again until he is 13. That was quite a workout.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

The first thing he said to me on Saturday morning at the t-ball clinic was, "I got 5 shots yesterday!" He and Peter told their shot stories like big guys...almost as if they hadn't cried like babies.

But I agree, 5 is a lot for a little kid and one time!

And the fact that he covered his ears so he wouldn't hear himself scream...PRICELESS!

Pampered Mom said...

I did not know he and Peter had discussed their shots. That is too funny. I guess they need some one to confide in.