Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dave Ramsey. . .

I went to the meeting the other night. It was great! I learned a lot. I also learned I had missed some really useful things in the classes prior to this one. So, I am trying to find another session going on so maybe I could get in on the start.

This really got me thinking about my families financial welfare. I know it is not about money but I do want my kids to be able to go to school and not worry about student loans. I found a book at the Drug store not long after I had been to this class with Beth and it was a Woman's point of view on finances. She also takes the Christian approach like Dave does. She talks about how there are no dumb questions when talking about your money. That made me feel better. I feel I ask dumb questions sometimes but even Dave said if you don't understand ask. I am going to get Dave's book to read next. These are not the kind of books you can read at the pool or beach side either. I have been carrying around my calculator and note pad the entire time I have been reading this other one.

I sat down and totaled up our spending for one month and gee whiz, we have a lot of work to do. It is not anything we can't do though, we just have to set our minds to it. Now, naturally Christmas is not the time to be trying to do this. But, we have to start somewhere and as the saying goes, "there's no time like the present."

I like that both Dave and Ms. Castleberry approach saving with a Christian perspective. Because when people start trying to save or if the economy is bad they cut out their charitable giving. If you don't believe me look at our food banks today. They are begging for food to be donated. But Dave's plan has a place to build your wealth and still give to your Church and other Charities that are in desperate need today.

I am going to pull on your heart strings a little today. Don't forget to donate to your local charities, they are in desperate need for all those that are less fortunate than we are.

This is my public service announcement for the week.

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

The first thing Dave says to do when doing your budget is to budget for tithing. Then work your way down because if you put tithing at the bottom, there won't be anything left. And really, it doesn't belong to us anyway!

Everything we have comes from God! I'll be glad to loan you the book when class is over at the end of December.