Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Wrestling tournament

The boys competed in their first official tournament on Saturday.  It was interesting, I had only been to see one last year but it is different when you are competing.  Jack won two out of  the three of his matches and he was not that interested in going.  Thomas was ready to go but did not have success.  He lost all three of his matches but, he wrestled hard and did well.  I was terribly proud of both of my boys.  Thomas lost two matches by a pin and one in points.  The one in points he only lost by two.  He was so close.  They both had fun even Thomas.  I think they each learned something new.   Jack and Thomas were wrestling kids 8-10 lbs. heavier than them so that was a little harder.  Jack took the Silver in his weight class.  He was so excited about that and he didn't really want to compete.  They have a Takedown tournament this weekend that they are looking forward to.  
I was not really ready to be a "mat" mom but I guess I am.  There are a lot of life lesson that the kids can pick up with this sport and any sport really.  The one big lesson Jack learned was that it didn't matter how much bigger your opponent was you could still win.   He also learned not to give up and to keep trying and fighting to the end.   Thomas had a few hard lessons to learn.  His lesson was to keep trying and fighting till the whistle blows.
I am very proud of both boys, they held their heads high even when they lost and they kept their good sportsmanship attitude.  Thomas was disappointed but I think he will work harder next time.   It is easy to win and be a good sport, anyone can do that.  It takes character to loose and be a good sport.

No comments: