Monday, March 13, 2017

Notes to the Boys. . . .

I know I have posted on this before but, as we approach the end of another year of school I feel it can be repeated.  I saw this on Pinterest or another site about how this mother wrote her kids a letter every year talking to them about things that happened that year and their accomplishments.  With each letter she enclosed a little money and when their child graduated she gave them all of the letters.   This gave the kids a very nice handwritten note about their childhood from their mom or dad and a little extra cash for graduation.
I have done something similar for my boys.  Since I did not get started until later in the boys lives I decided I would write to them at particular moments in their lives and more than just once a year.  This way they will have a few more letters and a little extra money.  I recently wrote to Sprat about him preparing for college and playing lacrosse.  I enclose $10 or $20 in each envelope just depending on how much cash I have on hand.
My hope is that they will appreciate having a note written in my handwriting to them personally and they will realize how much they were loved.  I do worry whether I should tell them there is money in each note.  They may just tear through the letters and not take the time to read them.   I have some old little daily note books of my grandfathers and I love them.  He talks a lot about his work and things he had to do for work but, I have a couple that mention my mom by name and my aunt and how he was going to take them shopping for shoes one day.  These are dated back in the 1930's and it really is neat to have these written in his handwriting.  I never knew my grandfather on either side, they had both passed away before I was born.  I hope my kids will keep my notes like I keep my grandfather's notebooks and appreciate their sentiment.  

No comments: