Thursday, October 22, 2009

Sick Children

So on Monday this week Jack complains of a headache and sore throat. Off we went to the doctor for fear of the flu. It was neither the flu nor strep but an upper respiratory infection. The doctor gave us antibiotics and we were back home. On Tuesday morning Jack woke up and I checked his temp and it was 103 so I gave him some medicine and sent him back to bed. With in twenty minutes he was back downstairs and said his eyes hurt. He was flush and felt really hot. I checked his temp again and it was 106.3 in his ear. Now I know ear thermometers are not the best but that scared me. So off we went to the tub. Jack is a really good sport so he did not complain about the cold water. He knows that I don't do things just to torture him. He spent 20 minutes or so in a cool tub before his temp broke to 104 and I was relieved with that. I gave him a dose of whatever it was that he had not gotten the first time to try and get a hold on this temp thing. So it is now Thursday (wee hours of Thursday) morning and I think he is going to get to go to school today.
Thomas will not be going to school. He went to the doctor yesterday with the same symptoms only his temp did not shoot up until 2:00am. His was only 105.3 in his ear. So off we went to the tub. Thomas is not as good a sport as Jack. He cried the whole time he was in the tub. I gave up after 20 minutes and his temp had not broken. I got him out and put him on the couch and started an alcohol rub down. He did not like that much either. He is now in the bed with a manageable 102 temp.
The moral of this story is check those temps. If you wake up in the middle of the night and your kids have been sick check those temps. Something just told me to go and check on him tonight, I am glad I did. I think this must be the course for this bug they have. It is not the flu it still may be viral though. High temps scare me, some may think I over reacted and some may think I did not react enough because I did not take them to the hospital. I don't think the hospital would have done any better or quicker than I did. Please be ware of this bug that is going around.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I hate fevers! I finally broke down and got one of those temporal thermometers...the kind you just rub over the forehead. It works great and I think it is one of the most accurate you can buy.

I hope Jack made it to school today and I hope Tom feels better soon!

Pampered Mom said...

Thanks, I hope Mark and I don't get it. I don't think I could stand a 105 or 106 temp. I am a bit of a baby.