Friday, March 12, 2010

Kids today ?

Yeah, that makes me sound a hundred years old.   I have been substituting at the Middle School this week for an art teacher.  Those that know me, know I have no artistic talent.  But, when the school calls you go.  So I have been teaching the art class for three days and today will be my last.  I have 6th-8th grades and I only do three classes.  You would think raising my two I could handle anything?  The 8th graders think they are above it all,  the 7th graders are testing the waters, and the 6th graders have more attititude than should be allowed. 
Kids have always been hard on Subs but I think these kids are like this for the teacher too.  The 8th graders threw markers and paper at the sub before me.  I was warned about them ahead of time.  So as soon as they came in I told them there would be none of that.  Luckily I had had most of them in other classes before.   They knew from previous experience that I had no tolerance for that behavior.  I walked through the room with a yard stick(yeah I know I could not use it on them but I felt safer) and I did not leave my back to them either.  The 7th graders are just seeing what they can get away with.  They tried everything to get out of doing their work.  The 6th graders still think they are the big fish in the little pond.  What they don't realize is that they are the little fish in the big pond.  I don't think they have adjusted to being that little fish.  The girls I think are the worst.  So much attitude for such a young person.  I am so thankful I have boys.  I thank the good Lord above every day for giving me my boys.  I don't think I could handle all the drama that comes along with girls.  Those that have girls, bless you, you know what I mean;  the sighing , the eye rolling, the head shaking, ect. . .

No comments: