Monday, July 19, 2010

Back from Camp. . .

The boys made it back from camp finally.  Jack stayed a week and Thomas stayed one night.  Thomas was only supposed to stay for two nights but on that second night he called and was "homesick."  They took him to the nurse and so now he thinks that "homesick" is a real sickness.  Any advice on this one?   Mark was surprised that he stayed the one night.  I really thought he would be able to make it for two.  Our preachers son was his counselor and they get along really well.  I guess I thought because he was there that Thomas would be ok.  I guess sometimes only Mom and Dad will do.  I felt rather sorry for his counselor having to deal with all this.  I am sure he learned a lot about dealing with kids this trip.   Thomas is a master when it comes to getting what he wants.  Not in a bad way but he has those dark brown eyes and he knows how to use them.  I can only imagine the show he put on up there.    Mark and I got almost 24 hours kids free this time.  I have to admit it was very quiet at my house and I kinda missed the little buggers.  Shhhh, don't let them know that though.  It is kinda strange not being able to talk with your kids every day.  They were not allowed cell phones or video games or anything like that.  I mailed Jack a couple of letters and I think he liked getting some mail.  So he got to hear from me but I did not get to hear back from him.  It was strange.
We got the call to pick Thomas up late so by the time we reached camp it was almost 10pm.  I felt like a thief in the night stealing my child away.  I thought I would get there and he would be cowering in the corner crying and really upset.  Well, to my surprise, he was laying in the floor playing with his cabin mates.  Not crying or upset.  I guess he knew we were on our way up there.   He told the lady that was over the camp he would come back next year and maybe he would stay for three days.  HA HA HA!!  She was really nice and said they had, had a few kids that left early this time.  I guess he is still young to be staying away from home like that.  Jack didn't go the first time he could have because we did not know about it in time to get him signed up so I guess Jack was a year older the first time he went.   Jack can make friends with anyone so being alone with a bunch of other kids does not phase him one bit.  He is my little social butterfly. 
Now we are preparing for Football camp.  Mark asked Thomas if he wanted to go to Football camp and Thomas said, "No."   I think he may think it is another sleep away camp.  It is not.  It is only a day camp.  Oh well, I may have traumatized him without knowing it.

No comments: