Monday, November 12, 2007

The Best Laid Plans. . .

Well, we made the journey to Dillsboro, NC (Gods' country). The leaves had all turned and were so pretty it looked like the Mountains were on fire.



I am an eternal idealist. This means all of my plans have only one way to go and that is every way but mine.



With that said I can tell you about our trip. We had reservations at a B & B in Dillsboro. Mark of course does not like the idea of staying in someone else home. Especially when I told him that our bathroom would be down the hall from our room and we might be sharing it with someone else. When we arrived the B & B was not opened yet. So we walked around to take in some of the local color. Not a lot going on for a Sunday afternoon. We walked over to the Depot to let Thomas see the tracks and the gift shop. The Depot sits on the edge of the river and Thomas just loved throwing rocks in the water. We stoped in the gift shop and I thought while we were here I would get our tickets so we would not be rushed that evening. When I asked the clerk about our tickets she replied, "Oh, your train is going out at Bryson City. It is about 20 minutes up the road." My heart fell. My ideal plans. We had not checked in yet and had not changed clothes to ride the train. We had to check in at the Depot an hour before our train ride. Needless to say there goes my ideal plans to waste. We did get checked in the B & B, got our clothes changed, and began our ride to Bryson City to meet our train. If you have read the Polar Express you know that everyone wore their Pj's. My ideal trip would not be complete unless we were wearing our Pj's. We got there in plenty of time and you know what evidently nobody had read the book because I was the only adult in Pj's. I told my kids that the other mothers' did not know how to have fun. HA HA!! We boarded our train and it was really cool. I had never been on a train before. We were in a nice dining car type coach. There were some coaches that were all open. Yikes. (it was cold last night)



We rode to the North Pole to pick up Santa. While on our way we got to drink Hot Chocolate and sing Christmas Songs. They also read the story of the Polar Express and the attendants walked through the car showing the pictures in the book. Once we reached the North Pole Santa came on the train and spoke to each child and gave them one of his bells off of his sleigh.

The kids each got to speak to Santa and have their picture made with him if they wanted to.

The whole trip was about an hour. It was worth all the trouble and the goof on my part with our accommodations. We did have a great time. We got up this morning and had a wonderful breakfast at the B & B and started our journey home. Mark asked the boys what their favorite part was about our trip. Thomas replied, "throwing the rocks in the water oh, and the train ride and Santa." Jack said he loved the train and the hot chocolate. My most ideal trip for the kids and Thomas liked throwing rocks in the water. I could have just taken him to High Rock.

I will post some pictures later of our trip.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Isn't that just always the way! You go to all that trouble and Thomas' favorite part was throwing rocks in the water! Kids - you've got to love 'em!

It sounds like a great trip anyway and I bet in twenty years when you ask him about it he will remember the train, Santa and you in your pj's and NOT the rocks!

jennwa said...

That sounded like fun.I have always wanted to do the Polar Express ride. My kids too would have enjoyed the rock throwing. But like Beth said ,in twenty years they will remember the ride.