Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thomas and Santa. . .

Thomas is 4 1/2 going on 40. He has his own ideas about the way things are and he is so funny sometimes I have to walk out of the room to keep from laughing. Thomas has this deep voice that you do not expect to come out of a 4 yr. old. So the voice along with the things he says is sometimes to much.

Thomas was telling me the other day what Santa was going to bring him. He said, Santa is going to bring me a race track. Well we have about a dozen race tracks already. So I said, Santa may not bring you that race track since he knows you have so many. You know that Santa does not bring you things we don't have room for or things you don't need. Thomas replied with a confident yes he is going to bring it. I asked why he was so sure. He again replied with great confidence, I told him what I wanted and he always brings what I ask for. (Note to parents Santa does not always bring what he asked for) I could only reply with, Oh, ok.

The kids are getting ready for their Christmas program at Church. They have been practicing a lot. One day one of the leaders noticed that the kids were not really giving it their all. So, she told them that if they did not sing and practice the way they were supposed to that Santa would not come see them. Thomas, of course, asked how she knew that. She told him she knew Santa and would call him. She told me all of this when I picked them up. She said that Thomas sang every note and every song with great gusto. I laughed. I always tell my kids to behave and be good to each other because Santa is watching. I also remind them of the story of my brother.

When I was about 7 or 8 and my brother was 18 he started telling me I had not been good and Santa was not going to come and see me. I was scared to death. He said Santa was going to put switches in my stocking. He started this in November, I remember it well. My mother kept telling me Santa was going to come see me and that I had been good. On Christmas morning I was the first one up. It was 5am. I was so excited to see what Santa had brought for me. I ran downstairs and burst into the den. He had come to see me and I had wonderful toys and dolls to play with. Of course I don't remember exactly what I got but, I remember distinctly what my brother got. He got SWITCHES, yes, switches in his stocking. I got the biggest smile on my face and I ran through the house announcing to everyone that Greg got switches in his stocking. I was so happy. Santa did bring him presents but not the good stuff that you get in your stocking. The candy and little items that he did not wrap. I have yet to let my brother forget that one. To this day it is Thanksgiving conversation.

I still believe in Santa. Not the silly man in the red suit but the spirit of the Holiday. The giving to others and helping someone in need. I hope my children always believe too.

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

Our next door neighbor's kids who are 8 and 5 were telling my kids this summer that there was no Santa. I almost told Peter and Sarah that they couldn't play with them any more.

I don't want to excitement and wonder of Santa to be ruined so early for my kids. I want them to believe for a long time!