Thursday, November 8, 2007

Here is my history. . .

My husband and I have been married for 14 years. We have had our fights and made up and fought again and made up again. You know the drill. My husband does not believe in spending money on anything especially frivolities. Well, I am all about the frivolous. I love to be Pampered. . . When we first started dating in 1991 he told me he did not believe in Valentines Day. Of course I could not believe he said that to me. We had been dating 4 months when Valentines rolled around. Well, I just knew I was not going to get a thing. I told him I better at least get a card. I did not care if he made it himself with construction paper. I wanted a card.

We were supposed to go to dinner that night. We worked together, 3rd shift in a lab, so I had heard all week how he did not celebrate Valentines and such. I went to his apartment so we could go to dinner. When I arrived he was still getting ready so I waited in his living area. There was a balloon in there. I thought ok, this has all been a clever trick to throw me off. He said from the bedroom, "Thank you for the balloon. That was sweet of you to send that to me." I said, "Huh?" I told him I did not send him any balloons. He said read the card. The card turned out to be the first clue on a hunt for goodies. He had set up an elaborate scavenger hunt for my gifts. Each clue had a clever little poem that sent me to different areas of his apartment. The last clue was a long stemed red rose that said, "A single rose for the single special person in my life. I am lonely please unite me with my dozen cousins in the bedroom closet." Well I just about fell out. There in his closet was the most beautiful vase filled with red roses.

It was then that I knew this was the man for me. He was so sneaky in setting all this up. The other things I got that night were a bag of chocolate kisses in the bathroom and my card was in the microwave. He still surprises me today with little things.
For our 14th Wedding Anniversary he gave me a gold watch. I laughed and asked him if this meant I could retire now after my 14 yrs of service. Needless to say that did not go over very well. He laughed and said nope not yet. I still don't get good benefits. You would think after 14 years I could at least take a sick day.
You know with kids there is no time for Mom to be sick.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Your husband sounds wonderful! Dan gives me cards at major holidays and usually that's it. But I knew that going in!

I hope you have fun blogging. It's very addictive!

jennwa said...

That was a great story. I am glad to see I have another blog to read. But Beth's warning is true, blogging is very addictive.