Saturday, August 30, 2008

Football is here. . .

I went to my first football practice last night. Between the heat, humidity, and Thomas it was not fun. I don't think I will go to another one. Mark is helping coach so I really don't have to go. What I was able to see looked good. They have only been doing "conditioning" this week. Yes, they practiced in the pouring down rain. They start hitting next week. That is the part I am worried about. I just hope they learn how to hit the right way. Jack is having a ball. He loves all the activity. They have been starting out with calisthenics (jumping jacks, running in place, push ups, up downs, ect. . .) then they break up in to groups and work on their positions. Mark is loving it too. I think he is re-living his youth. He loves football and wishes he could coach full time. He is really good with the kids. He enjoys being in the heat and wet sweaty yuck. They came home every night soaked to the bone. Jack could not stop talking about all the things they did. Mark came home one night and said, "I bet I was the only coach who got a hug." I asked him who hugged him and he replied, "who do ya think?" I said Jack? He said yes, he came over and hugged him and said, "I love you Daddy."

Mark has only helped coach with Jacks' age one other time. He helped coach basketball last year. He will admit that he does not know that much about coaching basketball but football, on the other hand, he knows all about. He played through High School and College and was an assistant coach at the High School level after college. Mark said he saw one of the mothers of the kids he helped with in basketball and she had this look of, oh no not the basketball coach. He wanted to tell her he knows a lot more about football than he did about basketball.

Games start around the 20th so I guess I will have to fluff my pom poms and get ready to be the Football Mom on the sidelines.

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

That's so sweet! I love that Jack really appreciates what your husband is doing and I love that Mark is loving it!