Monday, August 25, 2008

Wanting to do more. . .

Ok, I am feeling my mortality today. I watched "The Bucket List" last night. If any of you have seen it you know what I mean. I cried through the whole thing and laughed at the same time.

There is so much I want to do. There is so much I would like to expose my kids to as well. Now I am not at my end or anything like that, it just really makes you think about things. You think about the things you've done and the things you always say we'll do that next year or when we have enough money we will do that.

I was at the Bridal Show in Greensboro for The Pampered Chef last week and there was a travel agent besides us. I talked with her at length about a cruise to Alaska. I would really like to take the kids, I think it would be a great experience for them and me. I know they are young and may not appreciate everything but I think they would look back on it as a wonderful thing. I asked the travel agent to send me some info on Alaska. I just got it day before yesterday. It has some great stuff in it. It has several different trips you can do. A couple of them have land excursions too. The one that most peaked my interest was the one where you could actually walk on a glacier. I thought that would be awesome! You also got to go to a gold mine and pan for gold and "finders keepers." Jack liked that part.

I guess the point to all this is that I really would like to take the kids on this trip. The movie just sealed it for me. I won't ruin it for those that have not seen it. Why save and save and put off things until you can actually afford them. Now I am not saying spend everything you have. I am not crazy. It's just we all say I am going to do that or I am going to do more with my kids and then you turn around and there not there anymore. They have there own families or their in college and it's not cool to go on vacation with your folks anymore.

Now Mark is going to be the problem. He is the more level headed one in our family. He always says we'll do that after the kids are grown or we need to save more money first. Now I said I am not crazy I am not going bankrupt to go on vacation or anything like that. But, I think I can scrimp and save and do more shows and pay for our trip to Alaska. So with that said; I am going to set my plan in motion. I would like to go next year so you guys keep me honest. The kids would be 9 and 6 by then. I think I could handle them on an ocean liner. What do ya think?

Oh, did I mention that I am an eternal idealist. HA HA!!

PS: I went on a 9 day trip to Europe with my 8th grade class. I loved it. My parents did not go. I am not sure of the exact cost but my folks were not made of money. I know they did without so I could go. I did not quite appreciate all of it until later in life.

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

I think cruise lines are adding more and more things for kids to do. I think if you were on a cruise line that had lots of things for your boys to do then it would be fun...otherwise you may hear lots of "I'm bored"s which would be maddening on a cruise ship.

And I think if you had the money saved up beforehand, then Mark couldn't say no! I'm about to start taking a Dave Ramsey class and I know he would say not to do it if you had to pay for it with credit or if you already had lots of debt. But otherwise, I'm sure he would say to go for it!