Sunday, August 31, 2008

Helicopter Mom?

OK, I was reading this article in the dentist office the other day about a "Helicopter Mom." I have to say it caught my eye. I have heard of Moms being refered to a lot of things before but never a helicopter. HA HA!!

This was a fifth grade teacher writing in about a mother she had that came in every day and unpacked her childs book bag and made sure he had everything he needed before she left. I know I hover and maybe too much sometimes but I think I will get over it before they are in the fifth grade. This mother also questioned the teacher about his assignments and projects. The teacher finally had to ask for a conference to discuss the mothers' actions in the classroom.

Ladies if you see me hovering over the school please tell me I do not want to be referred to as the "Helicopter Mom." I know our school has a lot of volunteers. My husband even made the comment that the other counties close to us would be so lucky if they had the volunteers that we do. Hummm??? Is that a helicopter I hear? We are very lucky that we have so many volunteers. We even have those parents that come in and help with enrichment. I will be doing that this year. I am going to (ok swallow what is in your mouth now. No spitting on the computer) help with PE. Yes, I am going to help with kindergarten PE. Hey, maybe this will help me get in shape.

If you would like to read the article about the Helicopter Mom it was in O magazine July issue written by Amanda Robb.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I've heard about the helicopter mom before and I just laugh. I am not like that at all!

And I think it's great that you are volunteering. Just because you are going to help out with enrichrichment doesn't make you a helicopter mom.

That makes you and involved parent. And plus, they were begging for people to help wtih enrichment!

Pampered Mom said...

Thanks for that boost of confidence. I needed it.