Thursday, July 30, 2009

Fresh Salsa

Our garden is starting to slow down so Mark insisted on making some fresh salsa with our tomatoes and peppers. So we found a recipe for a Verde salsa and altered it to fit our needs. You know me I never follow the recipe to the letter. There is always room for additions. So here we go:

we boiled gently for about 4 minutes 11 tomatoes just until their skin pops. Then we threw in the peppers. We used 4 jalapeno peppers, 1 yellow pepper not sure of its' name, 2 Anaheim peppers. Those we boiled till their color changed and they were soft.

I let all this cool and then we peeled the tomatoes, skinned the peppers and put them in the food processor. I sauted some onion and garlic and added that to the food processor too. then we chopped some cilantro and added that to it. We zested a lime and juiced it.

Mark was the official taster he said it was missing something and I remembered when we had made salsa last we added some cumin. So I opened my jar of cumin to add it and Mark said what is that smell? He said it smelled like arm pits or BO. I laughed because that is a key ingredient in Mexican food. Not arm pit odor or BO but the cumin.
So when it was time to eat the salsa I tried it and it was way to hot for me. My kids loved it and I never really thought I was a light weight when it comes to hot food but yikes. So I did not eat very much of it. I think next time I won't leave all the seeds from the peppers in it. You know the seeds are where the heat is.

No comments: