Saturday, June 19, 2010

Mark's Garden

We have been enjoying fruits of our labors with Mark's garden.  He doubled it this year compared to last year.  I have eaten  loads of broccoli and pea pods.  I found a really good oriental/Thai recipe at http://www.allrecipes.com/  that uses broccoli and pea pods.  I have made it twice this season with things out of our garden.  My husband has become quite the farmer.  I love this website because you can give them ingredients that you have and they will give you different recipes that you can prepare with them. 
He is trying his hand at corn again.  We had a few ears last year but, he has planted more corn this year.   Thomas is my little corn eater.  He only likes it on the cob though.  We were at  a family get together and they had fixed cream corn off the cob and I asked Thomas if he wanted any.  He simply replied, "Can you put it back on the cob?"  I laughed and said no we can't.  He passed on the cream corn.  Mark tried potatoes this year too.  They did real well.  We had a good amount of potatoes.  They are so yummy too.  Mark also planted lettuce and he planted a mixed bag of lettuce.  So we got some that we did not really  recognize.  We had one that was really hot.  It had a kick to it after  you had eaten it.  I gave some to my Mom and my sister.  My sister said it was arugula.  I had never had arugula.  I had seen it on the cooking show but never tried it my self.  Mark liked it but, he likes hot and spicy things.  I don't really like my lettuce to be hot.  My sister took it and wrapped it around chicken breasts and baked it.  She said that was really good.  I did not try that.  I have enjoyed my peas that we have gotten this year too.  I love fresh peas raw.  When I was little I used to go get them out of the garden and eat them while I was outside playing.  They are so sweet and yummy.  I tried to get my kids to try them.  Jack did not care for them, he is my little carnivore, Thomas liked them.  He did not eat them the way I used to but he liked them.  Can you tell I am trying to add some variety to my kids diet?  That is not an easy task. 

No comments: