Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Techno Tuesday. . . Social Media

What is it about social media that makes people think they can just say anything to anyone?   I have clicked on news feeds comments section and I am amazed at what some people say and how rude they are to people they do not even know. 
Is it because they are not saying it  in person that they believe it is ok?   Why say something ugly and hurtful to someone, especially someone you do not know?  What purpose does that serve?  Not that it is ok to be hurtful to the people you know.  I just think I would understand it better.   I know some  are just out to cause drama and see if they get a reaction from people, they crave the attention. 
This is one reason I have not let my kids on social media.  Kids are mean enough in person, add a little distance and anonymity and you are just asking for trouble.   I have a few friends that let their kids have a social media account and they shared terrible things their kids have had to deal with.  
It is sad that we as adults cannot set better examples for our kids and others.   I believe it all goes back to the respect issue.   There is a huge lack of respect all over but, especially among young people. 

No comments: