Monday, June 1, 2015

Babbles on Famine and EOG Testing. .

Update on the 30 hour famine.  The kids were divided into tribes corresponding to those in Ethiopia.  Some of the kids were given disabilities; Big T was mute, one of the girls had a hurt foot,  one boy had no hand, and one was blind.  They were divided into their tribes and competed in challenges. 
During this 30 hours together they played and learned about Ethiopia and the Ethiopian children that go hungry everyday.  Our youth leaders are the best.  Big T told me all about the games and the food they were given.  They fixed a type of crepe and a soup that the children of Ethiopia eat.  Big T and Sprat said the crepes were good but the soup was not.  The soup was a coconut milk base with corn, and sweet potatoes.  They also had a peanut butter mixture with powdered sugar.   They both loved that.
The hubbs and I helped fix lunch for the kiddos and youth leaders after Church for the finale of the Famine.   We served breakfast for lunch; eggs, biscuits,  pancakes, sausage, bacon, and grits.  It was a good day. 
My mom always told us that breakfast was the most important meal of the day.  It gets your engine rolling (brain).  I was terribly picky when I was younger when it came to food.   The thought of sitting down to breakfast made me nauseous,  I hated breakfast.  Luckily,  my mom sold vitamins when I was growing up and they had a protein shake that was really good.  That is what I ate or drank for breakfast from the time I was in maybe 6th grade all the way through college.  It was easy and I was not tied to the table during breakfast,  I could carry it with me room to room while I was getting ready.  The whole breakfast is important thing has stayed with me.  I try to make sure the boys get a good breakfast before school which is sometimes difficult because they are a lot like  me.   Big T likes muffins, so he gets muffins in the morning and an occasional pancake.  Sprat eats hash browns and sausage or biscuits and sausage.  He has always been the meat eater.  
EOG's are finishing up and final exams are right on their hills.  Every year during EOG's and final exams I try to make it more fun and kind of an event for the boys.  We take the boys out for breakfast each morning to make sure they get a good start to their day.  I hope that they will remember these little things that their daddy and I have tried to do.   I hope that they will do the same for their own children some day.  I think that is what we as parents all want.  We want to leave our kids with great memories and traditions to carry on with their own families when that time comes.

No comments: