Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Let's Talk Tomatoes. . .

Do you love tomato sandwiches?   I love them and I eat them in a variety of ways.  There is your traditional tomato sandwich; bread, mayo, and tomato.  Very simple but oh so good.  My favorite is a variation on the traditional; bread, cream cheese, tomato, onion, and cucumber all sliced thin.  You can use either white bread plain or toasted.  My hubby brought home some pumpernickel, that with the cream cheese was wonderful.  My mom used to make little tea sandwiches and she would use the dark pumpernickel and rye bread.   She would use these for little get togethers with her friends and for baby and bridal showers.  She makes an amazing vegetable spread too, this does not have tomatoes but it is still worth mentioning since it does have onion and cucumber.
Vegetable spread:
2 carrots grated
2 cucumber peeled and grated
1 onion grated
squeeze the water out of each of these, then cream together with a block of cream cheese.   Add a dash of lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce and a little garlic powder.  Chill at least two hours, serve with crackers or as tea sandwiches.  One of my all time favorites.

No comments: