Wednesday, February 1, 2017

It Seems I Have Lost a Step or Two. . .

It seems as though I have a lost a step or two since the end of football, Christmas, and Thanksgiving.  I cannot seem to get back on track, I have resorted to Pinterest to help me gain some footing.  I have never been a meal planner but I did look at many of those type of pins.   I started on Sunday looking ahead to the week and what the boys had going on and what the hubbs and I had going on and tried to plan meals for the week, sort of.
Well, even the best laid plans go off course, my meal planning is no different.  I had picked a few things thinking that we would have some left overs to enjoy in between.  I have renewed my membership at one of the shopping club stores and decided I would start there.  I do love these stores, I always find things I do not need and some things I never knew I wanted.  On my previous visit I had purchased some hummus that my hubby and my kids loved so that was at the top of my list.  I was also looking for some type of meat to fix, I had intended on doing a pork roast in the crock pot but I could not find a piece of meat that I liked.   I decided I would check out their fresh produce which is usually pretty good.  I happened by the fish section, fish had never even crossed my mind for a meal this week.  They had the most beautiful salmon already fixed and ready to go at a very reasonable price.  There goes my attempt at meal planning, salmon it is for dinner.  The hubbs and I used to eat salmon a lot before we had the kids, I would drizzle olive oil and lemon juice and sprinkle with a little dill.  This salmon had already been prepared just like that, all I had to do was pop it in the oven.  I decided I would have coconut lime cilantro rice as our side. I found this recipe on Pinterest at Katya at Little Broken.  I did alter the recipe just a little because I did not have exactly what she called for.  Here is how I fixed it with my alteration.

1 cup organic brown jasmine rice
1 cup water
3/4 cup coconut water

Bring to a boil, drop to med low and simmer for 12-15 minutes to let the water cook off.

Remove from heat add:  lime zest and juice of half the lime, and 2tsp cilantro and stir.

The recipe for Little Broken called for coconut milk  and white jasmine rice.  I used the coconut water because I had it on hand and because it did cut out some of the fat and carbs.  I used the brown jasmine because I had it on hand and because the hubbs is a diabetic and fewer carbs the better for him.  This was an absolute hit!!  My kids even liked it.  This was easy and so delicious and pretty healthy.   I did have some left overs so the hubbs will get to enjoy that tonight.

Stay tuned as I continue to try my hand at meal planning.  

No comments: