Monday, June 23, 2008

Mommy is the adult she can do what she wants to. . .

This is part of the conversation that ensued on the way to the pool this morning. Jack asked what I had brought for snacks and when I told him he was not happy. Then he asked what I brought for myself to eat and drink. I told him I had a Dr. Pepper for myself. He moaned and whined because he does not get soda very often. Thomas said she is the adult and can do what she wants to. I said yeah! I don't let my kids have soda because one, it is not good for them but the other reason is I feel like I have to have it and I don't want them to get that way. They only get milk and some juice at home. On a rare occasion when we go to McDonalds I let them get sprite. I don't like for them to have juice either because of all the sugar.

Now back to I get to do what I want to. Hmmm, Now I wanted to sleep late today but because of my (2) two legged children and my one four legged child I was up at 6:30. I get to do what I want to do.

I would love to eat chocolate all the time. But, if I did I would probably make myself sick and weigh 500lbs. I get to do what I want to do.

I would love to go to the beach every weekend. But, if I did my kids would never get to college. I get to do what I want to do.

I would love to get my nails done every so often. But then we would not get to eat that week. I get to do what I want to do.

Being an adult and getting to do what you want to do stinks. But I will have that occasional Dr. Pepper when I want one.

My children are in for a rude awakening when they get older. They think that as adults that you can do anything you want. What they do not realize is all the sacrifice that goes on when you become an adult and have a family. I will certainly remind them of this when they have their families.

I would not trade them for anything though. I love em. They keep me hopping.

So what will I want to do today? I am taking Jack to ball practice.

1 comment:

Beth Cotell said...

They'll figure it out soon enough! In the meantime, enjoy your Dr. Pepper!