Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Little Leaguer

This is not mine it was printed in a paper in 1969 written by Jack Lee. I found it looking at some old stuff at my moms. It struck a cord so I thought I would share.

I had a little leaguer,
that played ball for me.

He never missed a practice,
he was always there at 3;

And when we had a ball game
his best he'd always show,

I'd ask him where his folks were at,
but he would never know.

They'd bring him to the ball field
and then got to town,

And then one day he got hurt real bad,
his parents couldn't be found

He's grown up to be a teenager now,
and he's in and out of jail.

And his parents often ask me,
"Tell us where we failed."

So all you parents with little leaguers,
go to their games and stay.

And let them know, that you'll be there
every game they play.

And should they make an error,
don't make them feel ashamed,

Just tell them to try a little harder,
it's all part of the game.

And when it is his time to bat,
stand up and holler loud,

It will make him feel much better,
to know you are in the crowd.



PS: sometimes as parents I think we get a little to caught up in things and miss the big picture. In ten years your kids won't remember the score or who won only that you were there.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Awwwww...what a sweet poem! And you are right...they will only remembered that we were there!

Pampered Mom said...

So remember your Pom Poms!! Next time.