Saturday, September 13, 2008

Winners and Losers. . .

Thomas had his first modified t-ball game today. Modified t-ball is where the coach pitches to the kids. They get 5 pitches and if they do not hit it they get two chances off the tee. Thomas did pretty good for this to be his first time with coach pitch. He got a double off the first hit and a single off his second hit. He scored two runs and got one out at second base. His team did well for the first game and to have had several practices rained out.

It was terribly hot today and humid. I felt sorry for the little guys. In case the title of this blog did not give you a clue our team lost. Thomas was a little upset. He asked, "Mommy did we lose today?" I simply replied, "yes dear, but you will do better tomorrow." Thomas said, "Mommy nobody lost last year in t-ball." I told him that now that he was playing modified t-ball that there had to be a winner and a loser. It is so hard to help your children learn such life lessons as there are winners and losers. Thomas is innocent in his thinking and I guess I have sheltered him as I sheltered Jack when he was this age. My children are idealists like me or like I used to be. They think everyone is good and that mean people are only on TV. Oh, I wish that were true.

So today I comfort my little ball player as he faces a loss on the scoreboard.


On a side note:

We only really lose if we never try. I don't know who actually said that but it was not me.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Peter is going to be very upset in the spring when his team looses because after every t-ball game, when he asked which team won, I always said, "yours did!" And he loved that they never lost.

Ha! It's going to be a rude awakening. But, I guess they have to learn some time...

Pampered Mom said...

It is so hard to be little. I hate this transition.