Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sylvan test results. . .

I went today for my conference with the director at Sylvan Learning Center.  Very informative.  I was very concerned for Thomas in math because his teacher told me he scored a 50% on his math benchmark test.  These tests are done on the computer.  I know kids are more computer savvy than we are but sometimes I think we should be testing the old fashion way.  Good ole paper and pencil with lots of scratch paper to do your figurin.  Toms' teacher also said he was at risk for not passing the EOG (paper and pencil test).   This is what lead to the Sylvan Learning center.
The director sat me  down and first said what a sweet boy Thomas was and how much she enjoyed getting to know him and working with him the other day.  I sat there waiting for the shoe to drop.  She then said he was a very smart boy and that I would be pleased with his results.  Again, waiting on that shoe.  They did a test on the computer to test his vocabulary.  It was a point and click on the picture that goes with the word.  He scored 88% on that.  This equates to an 11 year olds vocabulary, Thomas just turned 9 this month.  I was thrilled with this one.  So we move on to the CAT test.  They only tested him in math and he scored very well.  He scored 90%, 81%, and 88%  in the different categories of math.     They also did the "Fast Fact" test in math that checks his addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division facts on a timed test.  He did awesome again.  He did have some trouble in division  he only scored 87% and 85% in that.  The others were 100% and 95%.
Needless to say I am very happy with the results.  He does still have gaps in skills from second grade and the first of third grade.  They have set up sessions so that they can work on these skills and get him back on track and help to build his confidence.  I am pleased with the results so far for the Sylvan Learning center.  Thomas begins his sessions on Thursday so I will keep you posted on how that goes.  He is very excited and so am I.  Stay tuned for further info  on our adventure.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

That's great news!! I'm sure these extra sessions will be very beneficial for him!

Pampered Mom said...

I hope they will. I am so glad I went on and had this done. I feel so much better. Now we just have to build that confidence. Keep praying.