Wednesday, February 15, 2012

The Work continues. . .

Today the 3rd grade is taking the Cogat test.  I am praying that all goes well.  I am praying that Thomas has a good experience with this since in May comes the EOG.   I do not believe that Thomas does well testing on the computer.  I found out that all of the benchmark tests are done on the computer.  I am praying that since the EOG and this Cogat is paper and pencil that Thomas will do well on them.   I know these kids have to learn to work with computers but, with something so important as a test that could pigeon hole a student I feel it should be done with paper and pencil.  Call me old fashion, call me behind the times, these kids will have plenty of time to learn to take tests on computers.  Let them practice taking them on the computers but don't rely on those computer test results to decide whether a child passes or fails. 
I did not realize how much a childs' confidence impacts their school experience.  Moms' here are your marching orders.  Build those kids up praise, praise and praise them.  Brag on them to someone else when they think you don't know they are listening.   A kid with confidence will go far.  I have seen what a lack of confidence can do.  It is not pretty.  We are working now to build Toms' confidence and it is not easy if it has been dashed.  If you are a teacher, I beg you praise those kids even if it is only for a small task.  Their little egos need it.   Please be in prayer for all of the 3rd grade. 

No comments: