Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sourdough Bread. . . .

My sister gave me some of her sourdough starter a year or so ago and I have been making loaf bread with it for my family.   I have made muffins with it  too.  This particular starter is a wild yeast starter, that means you do not add yeast to the starter.  It picks it up while it sits out in your kitchen growing.  Once you have it going you can put it in the fridge, you just have to remember to feed it once a week.  The feeding is what I have a hard time remembering.  If you are using it regularly the feeding does not come in to play because you feed it after  you pull off of it.  I made muffins for my dear hubby this morning for part of his Father's Day.  I tried something a little different.  For muffins you have to start the night before.  You combine a cup of starter and 1 cup of whole wheat flour and let it sit for at least 7 hours.  So this morning I got up and added all the other ingredients:  1/3 cup molasses, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 egg, 1/4 cup butter melted fold these in to the starter mixture.  Mix this well and last add 1/2 cup fresh fruit of your choice and 1 tsp of baking soda. This makes 12 muffins, bake at 350 for 20 min or until done.
This morning I used oranges as my fruit and I used the zest of the orange too.  Mark and I like these the kids do not.  They are a whole wheat muffin so they are better for you.  I used apple sauce the first time I made these.  They were ok, they were not near as moist as the ones with the orange.
The loaf bread I make with the sourdough everyone loves.  The kids beg for it.  The bad thing is, it only makes two loaves at a time.  We can go through a loaf in a week or less.  This bread has a low glycemic index so it is good for diabetics or anyone watching their weight.  This bread has more protein in it than bread you buy in the store.

No comments: