Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Sugar Cravings. . .

Over the weekend I had a craving for something sweet and decided I would make something.  I went to my trusty Pinterest and found a recipe for homemade Twix bars.  Yes, I made them.  They are not as easy to make as the recipe sounds.  As par for the course and my baking, things did not go just right.
This is the shortbread layer, it did not do exactly as it should have.  I need more work on this part.

This is the homemade caramel and it was very good.

This is the caramel spread over the shortbread.

This is the finished product.  The shortbread did not set up just right but it was good.  I need more practice with this one.  


The Shortbread 
1 1/4 cup  all-purpose flour 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup butter softened

Caramel
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp corn syrup

Chocolate
2 cups chocolate chips
1 tsp vegetable oil

For the shortbread you combine your dry ingredients and then cut your butter into the dry.   It will form a crumb mixture.  Then you press it into a 9X9 pan and bake at 350 for 20 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool.

The Caramel, add butter to a medium sauce pan and melt over medium heat.    Stir in your brown sugar to dissolve.  Add corn syrup and SC milk then bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and keep stirring for 2 minutes.  When it starts to thicken pour over your shortbread.  Allow to cool.

Once your caramel has cooled mix your chocolate and oil.  This recipe called to do this in the microwave but all of my microwave safe glass dishes were dirty so I did mine on the stove in a sauce pan and it did just fine.   Let your chocolate cool just a bit before pouring over your caramel and shortbread.  I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil and it took my chocolate a little longer to set up.  
My kids loved this and it did not matter one bit to them that the shortbread did not stick together.  
I have been making meatballs this morning so stay tuned to hear about that tomorrow.  

No comments: