Monday, October 20, 2008

The Rock- A- Thon

The kids participated in a fundraiser at Church on Friday night. We had a Rock-A-Thon. The kids rocked in rocking chairs all night. HA HA!! Mine did not stay all night but they did stay part of the night Friday. We are raising money for an Orphanage that we sponsor in Kenya. One of our young adults has been living there to help with the children for several years. The kids wrote letters to the children in Kenya and they were so cute. Most of these children's parents have died and they do not have anyone to take care of them. They recently got a newborn that the mother had died in childbirth and the grandmother was 80 and could not care for the baby. It is really sad that they do not have the medical standards and care that we do.

The kids got to see video of the children in Kenya they all had smiles and seemed so happy. I want to believe that my children did learn something from this experience. The mother of the young man that is running the orphanage came and talked with the children and was trying to explain how things were over there. She has visited him a few times. This young man is very special. He went to Kenya when he was only 19 yrs old. He has been in charge of the orphanage since then.

I don't know about y'all but at 19 the only thing I cared about was what boy I was going out with next and what outfit I might wear.

I hope that seeing the video and hearing the stories of those kids touches something in my kids. I want them to realize that the end of the world does not come when they don't get their way.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Sounds like a special young man! I hope you were able to raise a lot of money for the orphanage.

Pampered Mom said...

They did pretty good. We are up to $300 ++ so not to shaby for a bunch of kids.