Friday, October 3, 2008

Telling Stories. . .

OK, I may have a problem. While I was at school on Wednesday I just happened to mention, the falling asleep in the cafeteria incident, to the assistant in Thomas class. She laughed and said they did not have a sub on Monday nor did Thomas get left in the cafeteria. So I am relieved that my child was not forgotten but now I have a bigger problem. My child likes to stretch the truth. Ok, I will just say it, he lied. I asked Thomas about this that night. He got a sheepish grin on his face and gave in and said no he was not left in the cafeteria. When I asked him why he lied he of course could not tell me. The teacher laughed and said he had a vivid imagination. I thought ok she is being really nice about all this. I told her to remember this if he came to school and told some outlandish story of something at home. She laughed, almost like he had already told her something. Wonder what he said?

Jack, on the other hand, cannot lie. He his honest to a fault. If you ask him something he will not tell a story he will tell you the truth even if it means he gets in trouble. Now how is it I got two ends of the spectrum in one house. We have raised them the same way. Yet one will lie to save his own fanny and the other will tell the truth even if it means his fanny. Marks' mom told me that his Dad could weave a tale like nobodies business. She said he told her this long grizzly story of a scar on his back and she believed him and come to find out it was not true.

So is it genetics that makes us do the things we do? Do our genes play a role in our personality?

Those are my thought provoking questions of the day.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I think this means Tom is very creative.

He wasn't lying to hide something or to keep from getting in trouble, he was just telling a story - and a very convincing one at that!

He will probably be in sales like Mark one day and his ability to talk and get creative will come in handy!

Pampered Mom said...

He is very creative, that is for sure. Maybe he will be a writer? Hmmmmmmm?????