Friday, June 27, 2014

Cucumbers everywhere. . . .

We were over-run with zucchini and now we are being over-run with cucumbers.   I love them but I am about the only one in the family that truly loves them.  Hubby will eat them soaked in vinegar but I like them raw with some dressing, on a sandwich, and  in vegetable spread (I will share that one with you in minute).

When I was little my Mom used to host Bridge Club and she would make all of these tasty treats for her guests.  We got to eat what ever was left over and sometimes she would make extra just for us.  One of my favorites was the vegetable spread.  So here is her recipe:

3-4 cucumbers shredded
2-3 carrots shredded
1 onion shredded
a block of cream cheese softened
a dash of Worcestershire
a dash of Tabasco
a dash of garlic powder

squeeze all of the excess water from the shredded cucumbers, carrots, and onion then add to the cream cheese with the Worcestershire, Tabasco, and garlic powder.   Cream this together and let sit for a couple hours in the fridge.  You can use it as a dip or spread it on bread for a sandwich.  Yummmm.

Here are the other recipes I have found for cucumbers in my recent search:

2-3 cucumbers peeled and sliced
1/2 onion sliced
1-2 garlic cloves whole
1 cup of white vinegar
4tbsp sugar
2/3 cup water
2 tsp salt

I put all of this in a mason jar.  They are good for 2 weeks in the fridge.   All of the liquid did not fit but these are great!!  Hubby loves them.

I have not tried this one but I am sure I will since I have a surplus of cucumbers.

1-2 cucumbers chopped
2tbsp balsamic vinegar
dash of lemon juice
Italian seasoning
Let chill and serve.

One more before I go:

4 cucumbers peeled and sliced
1 onion chopped
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup mayo
2 tsp vinegar
a dash of lemon juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp dill
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of garlic powder

mix sour cream with all ingredients below then toss with cucumbers and onions.  Let chill in the fridge for at least two hours.

I have also been putting a couple of slices in my water throughout the day along with a sprig or two of fresh mint.  Let us not forget the spa trick of a slice over each eye too.  I have been doing that as well.  Never hurts to try, right?

Happy crunching. . . .

No comments: