Wednesday, June 18, 2014

The Good Ole Days . . .

What are the "good ole days" to you?  I remember eating dinner as a family every night without fail at 6pm.  Mom always had a spread; fresh bread, veggies out of the garden, and some type of meat (baked chicken, roast, or pork chops).  My sister and I helped set the table and we also helped clear the dishes.  We all sat down together, ate and talked about what all happened to everyone during the day.  We rarely ate out and if we did it was a big treat.
  I also remember going to Church on Sunday, Mom getting lunch in the oven before we left so it would be ready when we came home.   After lunch and after the kitchen was cleaned up we went downstairs and watched TV together.  We watched Ma and Pa Kettle, Abbott and Costello, Frances the talking mule, and sometimes the Little Rascals.   We relaxed on Sunday afternoons and enjoyed time with family. 
I try to keep my own family on a routine like this but these days we are running crazy just like everyone else.  My sister and brother and I were all involved in sports but some how my Mom kept us fed and on time to all of our practices and games.  
I think times were so much simpler then, goodness,  I sound like I am 100 years old.  I am not that old but, I do miss those times.  I will continue to try  and keep our family eating together because I know how important that is.  We do discuss the days events as we sit around our cluttered table.   I hope my kids will have good memories about our time spent as a family around the table.  We also try and have some quiet time before the kids go to  bed. 
I have introduced my youngest to Frances the Talking Mule,  thanks to my sister sharing some videos she had.  He also likes Andy Griffith.   Here's to the good ole days.

No comments: