Sunday, July 20, 2014

Live Cannon Fire

The coolest thing of our vacation so far.  Went to Fort Macon today to check out the museum.   We saw the Fort last year when we were here.  To our delight and surprise they were having a reenactment of the siege of Fort Macon.  They had people dressed in costume all around the grounds.
We did not know they were doing the historic reenactment.   We got there as they were finishing up.  The end was punctuated by the firing of the cannon.  I did not think they were really going to fire it.  We watched as they loaded and tamped the cannon, they sighted it in.  Then when the solider standing beside the cannon put his hands over his ears, I told Big T to cover his and I covered mine.  Sure enough, they fired that cannon, and it was loud.  I felt it in my chest.  I jumped, it was loud.  Unfortunately,  that was the end for today.  Wow! So glad we got to see and hear  that.  After the took down the Confederate flag and put up the American flag.   Awesome Day!!

No comments: