Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Crafts for Children's Church

I had Children's Church this past Sunday and as I racked my brain trying to come up with a good craft I resorted to my trusty computer and good old faithful Google. When in doubt or need google. I found several sites that had lots of different activities. The one I chose was a prayer jar or can. You use empty soup or bean cans and of course wash them out and you can take the labels off but you don't have to. I cut construction paper to fit the can and then I cut smaller pieces to write their prayers on and put them in their can.

I told them that they could write down what ever was bothering them or something they wanted to pray for and place it in their can. Several of the kids wrote down two and three things they were praying for. On the piece of construction paper they put around the can I let them draw pictures or whatever they wanted but they had to write in the top corner, "From Me to Jesus."
This way they knew that they were talking to Jesus about their problems and they were asking him for help.

As usual for my blog there is something funny to go along with this. As I was telling the kids what to do with what I had out in front of them, Thomas pipes up and says, "My Mom dug these cans out of the garbage you know." There is never a dull moment, not even in Church, with Thomas around. I of course told them I did not get them out of the garbage, in fact, Marks' Mom is the one that saved the cans for me and yes she washed them.

Check out this website for fun stuff for the kids to help them learn bible verses. http://www.mypocketscripture.com/

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

I love the idea of a prayer jar (one that hasn't been pulled out of the garbage of course!)

Pampered Mom said...

Yeah, just don't let your kids see ya do it.