Saturday, May 30, 2009

Hives and stuff. . .

I got a call from Thomas' teacher called me the other day and said Thomas was scratching and had big whelps on his back. He does get that way sometimes when he has been on antibiotics but it has been several weeks since his last dose of those. I decided I would go to school and check him out. I asked if it would be ok if I gave him some benadryl. She said yes that would be fine. So off I went to school. When I checked in at the office his teacher brought him to me and sure enough he had a huge whelp down the center of his back. She said that earlier he had one across his side that looked like he had been popped with a switch. His teacher said he could not stop scratching.

I decided I should take him home and to the doctor. The PA saw him and most of the big whelps were gone due to the benadryl. There was a new one though on his leg. It was just starting to whelp up. The PA said it looked like an allergic reaction, maybe a food allergy. She wanted to give him a dose of steroid. She said she could either give it by mouth or by shot. I prefer a shot because it is once and done. The medicine by mouth is harder to get in him. Thomas of course did not want a shot. He cried and cried. I knew the shot would hurt for a little bit but, that medicine would taste bad everyday a couple of times a day.

We prayed about the shot and prayed that God would comfort him during the process. The nurse came in and said he was going to have to be really still so she could make sure that the medicine went in. So then she went for back up. Then two nurses came in and we laid Thomas face down on the table. They pulled his shorts down to get a good spot on his tush. Well, he had his fanny clinched so tight that both nurses busted out laughing and the one with the shot said, "and I was worried about finding his muscle." You could have bounced a quarter of his fanny it was so tight. We all laughed then. So I tried to talk to him to get him to relax so it would not hurt as bad. Once I talked to him he began to relax and they gave him the shot. We limped out of the doctors' office and went home.

He is fine now and we do not have to battle that icky medicine every day.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Poor Thomas!

Wonder what caused the reaction?

Pampered Mom said...

We are not sure. Still working on that one.