Tuesday, May 12, 2009

EOG......That's a dirty word you know.

Yes, it is EOG time, that stands for end-of-grade testing. This is the part of the year most kids dread. All parents dread it. This is the first year for Jack to experience the EOG drama. He has no worries over any test. He is laid back about tests it scares me. I was never a good test taker in school. I always got stomach aches and felt like I was going to toss my cookies. Jack is the exact opposite of me. He has no fear or concern. I have talked with several mothers that have kids that get so nervous and sick about taking the tests that they do toss their cookies. I don't want Jack that way but a little fear would make me feel better.

He has done well in school so far. He has been on the "A" honor roll and he did well on the pre EOG that they gave him at the beginning of the year. His last benchmark test score for math was not good at all. I got a note that said he was "at risk." This scared me. So I had a conference with his teacher. She explained he was rushing through his work and he would not review it before turning it in. She said he had made some silly mistakes. After looking at his work she was dead on. He had made some serious silly mistakes. All of this because he did not read the problem. So this has been our adventure for the last two weeks. We have been going over his math strategies. He has been taking practice tests trying to get him to slow down.

His teacher and I both told him he did not have to be the first one finished. He told me, "but mom if I don't finish first the teacher will think I am dumb." I told him that no one will remember who finished first but that grade will follow him forever. I begged him to go slow and read everything twice. I have asked everyone to pray for him too.

No comments: