Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Crockpot Mountain Stew

We have had a big, well what I consider big, temperature drop today.  With the temperature a little cooler it makes me hungry for my mama's Mountain Stew.  Our garden was a big success this year and we had lots of potatoes and a couple heads of cabbage and those two just scream Mountain Stew. 
Mom always made this on those cool days and it sure was good.   I only ate cabbage if it was in  her stew.  Since our garden did so well I cooked up a lot of extra recipes and froze them.   I have thawed my stew and put it in the crock pot for tonight.  Yummm
Here is moms recipe: 
1-2 lbs ground beef browned
2cans tomato sauce
3-4 potatoes cut up
1/2 head of cabbage
4 carrots cut up in bite size pieces
1 can tomato paste
1-2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbs oregano
2tbsp basil
Chili powder
Thyme
3tbsp cumin

Throw it all in the crock pot for 6-8 hours.  If you need more liquid add a little V8 juice.  Serve with sour cream, shredded cheese, crackers, or tortilla chips.
If you want to speed the process up you can boil your potatoes and cabbage before you add them.  Also cook the carrots.  Add your seasonings for your taste. 
We will be enjoying this tonight after football practice. 

No comments: