Monday, September 29, 2014

Internet and Social Media Safety

I am going to get on my public address soap box today.  A friend of mine shared one of her friends posts about a man, and I use that term loosely,  that is stalking young girls on Facebook.   Here is my beef.  If you do not know someone personally why on earth would you be friends with them and open your whole life up to them on Facebook.  When I say personally, I mean a face to face knowledge of them.  Everyone on my Facebook I have a face to face relationship and I don't understand people just accepting friend requests if you do not know the person.   I think young people are especially guilty of this.  This is a dangerous practice because this is how pedophiles,  perverts,  and stalkers get started.  This is also how your profile picture could get stolen and a new  Facebook account could show up.  Think about all of the things that you share and the pictures that you post on social media.  Now would you want just anyone seeing these family pictures or knowing some of the things you might share. Please educate your kids if they are on social media.  I think kids are the most susceptible to these kind of things and they are also guilty of the over share on social media. 
We have been submerged in all of this technology and there is so much that we as adults still need to learn.  Do not forget about your kids,  they are conditioned to jump in and embrace all new things.  It is our job to remind them to be cautious.  The old look before you leap adage.  

No comments: