Saturday, September 6, 2014

Don't do what I do, do what I say do. . .

I am going to tell on myself just a little today.  When I was younger, before I had kids, I could string some expletives very easily.  Since having kids I have tried very hard not to do that so that I can set some sort of example.   I want to be a good role model for my kids and I try very hard on daily things.  I don't liter and when I see it out in the yard or in the neighborhood I pick it up.  I try to  help people out whenever I can because I want my kids to do the same.  You really want your kids to catch you doing the right thing because you want them to grow up and do the same.
Ok, so here is the tell.   One day Sprat and his dad were playing checkers and evidently dad was winning.  Sprat cannot stand to lose, even at the early age of  4.   Sprat made a move and dad made a couple jumps to win and Sprat said, "damn it."    He said it in perfect inflection too.  Needless to say dad was not happy and proceeded to ask where he had heard those words before.  Dad went on to say that he better not be playing or hanging around people that talk that way.   They went on about their way and played another couple of games with no expletives.   The next day Sprat comes up to my dear hubby and very innocently asks, "dad am I not allowed to play with mommy any more?'  My husband did not know exactly what to say till he realized what his dear son was asking?   At that point I was the one in trouble.  It is funny how our kids can make us feel about two inches tall.  I said from that point on I would do my best not to say anything I did not want repeated.  I am not perfect and I never claim to be.  I have slipped here and there just like everyone else and my youngest calls me on it every time.    All we can do is our best, to be good role models for our kids.
So there is my tell on myself today.  I am sure each of you have had some of your own.   Just know that you are not alone and this to shall pass.

No comments: