Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Best Chili ever. . . And A Little Fish Story

I am going to share my super secret chili recipe today.  My hubby absolutely loves this.  I always joke that it was my chili and the fact that the first time we went fishing, I out fished him, that he fell in love with me.   Yes, I am a fabulous cook and a pretty good fisherman.   Ok, ok, that is my opinion.   I did out fish him on the pier that weekend before he asked for my hand.  I am a fair weather fisherman though; I do not like fishing in the cold,  the extreme heat, or the rain.   I remember one day in particular that my hubby did get ill with me when we were fishing.  He says it was June but, I believe it was mid April because it was cool and rainy.  Notice it was two of those conditions I do not like fishing in.  I fussed and told him  I was ready to go.  We had been on the lake for a good while so it was not like we had just gotten there.   He was mad because the fish were really biting and we were catching them like crazy.  My hands were almost numb though because it was cold and I was soaked to the bone.   We headed back to the dock.  Hubby was ill because the fish were crazy and he wanted to keep fishing.  He gave in and headed toward the dock, now when we fished it was my job to keep the boat from banging the dock as we approached.   It was also my job to get the truck and back the trailer down the ramp so dear hubby could put the boat on the trailer.   It was so wet that when we approached the dock I stood up instead of getting on my knees like I normally did.   I was holding the truck keys and trying to balance on the front of the boat and put my foot out to keep the boat from banging the dock.   Hubby was ill and came in a wee bit fast to the dock and I could not stop the boat.  He through it in reverse and through me off balance and off the boat I went, me and the keys to the truck.  Hubby did not see  how I went  in the water.  He thought I had hit the dock with my head, he thought he had killed me.   He backed the boat up so that if I did come up I would not be under the boat.  When I came up I held my hand up with the keys in it and yelled, "I still have the keys."  I was also laughing terribly,  I could not believe that I had fallen off the boat.  Hubby could not believe I was laughing either and he was relieved he had not killed me.  He really thought I would be mad at him but, I could not stop laughing.  He had told me all morning that the lake water was warmer than the air temperature and he was right, the water was very warm.  I slogged out of the water and up the ramp past a couple of guys unloading a jetski laughing at me.  I went in the store to get a friend of ours to back the truck down so I would not ruin our seats.   What a day that was.   My hubby was very apologetic about the whole thing and I still laugh about it because it could have only happened to me.  He still cannot believe I came up out of the water laughing but, there was nothing else to do but laugh.  
Now on to my infamous chili. . .
1-2 lbs ground beef (depending on how many you want to feed)
2 cans diced tomatoes 
2 cans tomato sauce
2 cans kidney beans drained
2 cans black beans drained
1 can corn or you can use frozen corn (optional)
2 cloves garlic pressed
2 tbsp onion pwdr
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp cilantro
2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp cayenne
1 tsp dry ground mustard 
dash or two of Worestershire
dash or two of white wine (I use Moscato)
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp dry cocoa pwdr
dash of white vinegar
V8 juice low sodium

Brown your ground beef with a dash or two of Worestershire and White wine then add pressed garlic cook a little longer in the skillet then transfer to your crock pot.  Add all your other ingredients leaving the V8 for last.  I add the V8 last just to make sure there is enough liquid so your chili will not burn.   This is my very own recipe it is not from anyone else.  Feel free to add more or leave out anything you may not like.  Don't turn your nose up too fast to the cocoa powder though, it may seem an odd addition but it does add a wonderful flavor to this chili.  I usually cook this 6-8 hours in the crock pot and serve with sour cream and tortilla chips or saltines.   
I used to fix this for my hubby and his friends on football Saturday before we were married and early in our marriage.   Enjoy!!

No comments: