Thursday, April 21, 2016

A Sprouting We Will Go. . .

Alfalfa sprouts, I love them and I have recently started sprouting my own.  Thank my Mom again for this one, she used to sprout them for us.  Growing up I ate salads all the time.  My Mom even figured out how to pack them in my lunch box.  My teachers use to love to see what I would bring to school for lunch.  I ate asparagus roll ups, salads, and vegetable spread, this was when I was in third grade.  I have mentioned how much I love sweet peas right out of the garden, well I love alfalfa sprouts that much too.   I decided I wanted to try and sprout my own this year.  Alfalfa sprouts run anywhere from $2.50-$3.75 a container depending on where you shop.  It is cheaper to sprout your own but, it is time consuming, they must be watered 2-3 times a day and their trays shifted from top to bottom.  It takes 3-5 days for them to sprout.  The picture below is half of my harvest from my very first sprouting.  I have eaten them in salads, on a flour tortilla with hummus and some fresh lettuce,  and on toast with cream cheese and lettuce.  You can find your seeds and trays on Amazon.   You will want to get organic seeds to make sure they have not been treated with any pesticide.  The trays that I bought gave specific directions on how to set them up and start your seeds.  Mom just used a mason jar and a screen over the lid.  Happy sprouting.

No comments: