Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Sex Education and Family Life. . .

In case you did not know, Big T is my youngest and he is also the one that probably tells me too much, most of the time.  I am glad that he feels comfortable talking about everything but sometimes it does catch me off guard.   The hubbs took the day off yesterday to do some things around the house and since I did not feel real well he picked the kids up at school for me.  He also did my Wal Mart shopping too.  I am very lucky to have such a sweet man as my best friend, husband, lover, and partner in this crazy life.  We quietly celebrated twenty-three years of marriage and twenty-four as best friends.   When life gets crazy and throws those curve balls we back each other up and for that I am blessed.
Since I did not pick the kids up at school I did not get to hear about all the happenings until we were on our way home from baseball and lacrosse.   Big T started telling me about his family life class, now if you do not have kids or they are not at least in fifth grade you may not know what family life class is.  Here is the long and short of it.  Family life is basically what sex education used to be.   They sort of start them in fifth grade with basics of the differences between boys and girls.  I have noticed that the girls mature  a lot faster than the boys, or at least my boys.   Each year they add a little more and get a little more specific.  Big T is now in seventh grade so it got pretty specific this year.  Since the hubbs and I both have a medical background and part of my hubbs job is to promote birth control, I felt like we had covered all of this already.    Big T gets in the car at the ball field and begins telling me about his day.  He said family life was really bad and I asked how it was bad.  He said well, you know about STD's?  I said yes, and he said well they showed us pictures of the different kinds of them.  I had seen the pictures before so, I sort of felt bad for poor Big T.   He said, it made me sick and I had to leave the room.   I simply told him that the only way to be sure not to get any of those diseases is to practice abstinence.   I also told him to catalog those images in his memory so that if he ever has the urge he could recall them and that should settle that.   We had a nice long talk on the way home about sex, condoms, and abstinence.   He then tells me they gave them a snack after the class.  I said that sounded good, he said, nope it was gummy worms.  I busted out laughing.  Poor Big T.  
Sprat, on the other hand, is very closed lipped and he rarely shares things like this with me.  We have had that talk and in fact I got a little irritated with him one day because all he would tell me about his day was that it was good or ok.  I decided I was going to take care of that.  This was when he was in seventh grade and for some reason I did not have Big T with me.  Sprat got in the car and I asked him about his day and I got the typical "ok."    I told him we were going to have the "sex talk " then since he did not have anything to tell me.   He immediately broke into his day, minute by minute and told me everything that had happened from the minute he got to school until the second that I picked him up.
I love my kids, they are very different and I guess that is what makes my world go around.   They amaze me on a daily basis, they also push me to my end on a daily basis.
Living in the little moments with my clan.

No comments: