Thursday, April 7, 2016

One of Those Weeks. . .

Excuse my gap in posts, it has been another wild week here at the clan.   Baseball has gotten started full swing for Sprat and we are still battling Lacrosse with Big T.  Big T had a game last night against a local middle school,  they tied last night after beating them weeks before.  This middle school team is really good so if we could not get another win against them, I guess a tie will do.  
A cold front came through the other day and I think I may have lost some of figs.  I do not think anything in the garden was damaged but my figs are most definitely going to suffer.  I am not sure what type of fig we have but some years I get two crops; and early crop and then one later in the year.  I think the cold may have damaged my early crop this year.  It ruined my early crop last year and I did not get a good late crop either.  Like most things my mom has been my influence with my garden, herbs, and fruit trees.  Mom has a huge fig tree, she can even pick them from her open window in the dining room.  I have always loved figs, when I was pregnant and my folks would come up to see us they always brought me fresh figs.  Mom also makes fig preserves, they are so good.  I have not tried my hand a preserves yet, I have never had enough at one time to make preserves.  I eat them right off the tree, they rarely make it into the house.  I have found some good recipes on Pinterest for figs and cheese and honey.  If I do have enough to do anything with I think I will try one of those recipes.  Mom always keeps me stocked on my fig preserves.
I really do enjoy eating what we grow, I wish I could get my kids a little more excited about it.  They each have certain things that they like out of the garden; Sprat likes the potatoes and Big T likes the lettuce and spinach.  The hubbs and I like it all!  I am going to try and freeze more of my jalapeno zucchini cornbread casseroles this year and I hope we will be able to freeze more peas too.  
Stay tuned I will probably share that zucchini recipe again and a few more that I have tucked away.  I might even share my hubbs pepper jelly recipe, yummmm.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

Please do share Mark's pepper jelly recipe. We had a ton of peppers last year and I tried my hand at some jelly. One batch was way to runny and the next batch was way too thick. Boo! Wasted time and money. Canning is my nemesis!

Pampered Mom said...

Hey Beth, I will gladly share his recipe. It is really easy and very yummy. Canning is very tricky for us too. This is a great recipe to practice canning. I will post it when our peppers start coming in. It uses raspberries for sweetness.