Friday, April 22, 2016

Pepper Jack Rice Casserole. . .

Last night I decided to make my jalapeno rice casserole.  As par for the course I changed things up and did a few alterations to my own recipe.  I used whole wheat orzo instead of white rice and I made up my own cream of mushroom soup minus the mushrooms.  I have never attempted to make up my own cream of mushroom soup before but it is pretty easy.   Here is how it all went down.  I started my homemade soup first.  One tablespoon of butter melting in a sauce pan then add a tablespoon or two of flour to make a rue.  Then add equal parts of milk and chicken stock about a cup each.  It will bubble up, mine did not get real thick but it worked.   Cook your white rice or whole wheat orzo according to package directions.  I used two cups of dry orzo.   Grate one 8oz block of pepper jack cheese, one can of green chilies, and 8oz sour cream.   Combine your cooked rice/orzo with shredded cheese, chilies, soup, and sour cream.  Mix and put in casserole dish and bake for 30-45 minutes at 350.  You can top with corn chips, I did not have any on hand last night so I did not use them for this recipe.  This was really good and it thickened up very well in the oven.   The hubbs loved it but, I did not even broach it with the kids.  They are not much for casseroles.

No comments: