Thursday, April 9, 2009

New recipe. . .

I am always trying new recipes but they generally do not come out the way they should. This one is the exception. I got this recipe from Southern Living Decmeber 2008. Yeah, I know it took me long enough huh. Mark fusses so when I leave magazines laying around so I tear out things I want to keep like recipes and file them away for later. I decided I wanted something different for supper this week and picked this one. This is not the exact recipe, I tweaked it just a bit for my taste and ingredients.

Hot Tomato Grits:

2 cans (141/2 oz) chicken broth low sodium
1 cup uncooked quick - cooking grits
2 tomatoes chopped
2tbsp green chiles (canned chopped)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
3tbsp. butter

I used my Pampered Chef 12 inch skillet and melted butter the added chicken broth slowly and some salt (just a bit) let this bubble then add your grits and stir. I used medium high heat. Add your tomatoes and chiles return to boil stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes be sure to stir often. Add cheese and let it sit on low then stir and serve.

The kids did not like it but Mark loved it. I liked it too. It was different from our usual meal. This was our side dish to Marks' wonderful grilled chicken. Since only Mark and I ate this we had a lot left over. Mark ate it the next morning with his eggs for breakfast and said it was wonderful. I ate it for lunch the next day. It was good after sitting overnight in the fridge.

2 comments:

Beth Cotell said...

You can't go wrong with green chilis and cheddar cheese! These sound really good!

Pampered Mom said...

Marks' sister has requested it for Easter Sunday at her house for lunch.