Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Garden. . .

The garden is doing quite well. All of the rain we have had in the past month or so has really done some good. I have picked about 4 zucchini every day this week. I have been eating them raw with ranch dressing since Marks' tummy still is not up to eating things like that.

Last night he came home from work and said he wanted some zucchini pasta. So I began looking for some recipes for this. I love the www.allrecipes.com site. You can type in the ingredients you have and they will search and find you a recipe. It is pretty cool, especially if you are looking for something different. Another site I love for recipes is www.foodnetwork.com they have some great recipes too.

I found a recipe I like and had most of the ingredients. You know me I always improvise. Sometimes that is good sometimes not so good. This one was a winner. Here is what I did:

olive oil
4 (fresh) zucchini
2 cloves garlic
3 (fresh) green onions
1 (fresh) Anaheim pepper
1 can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
3 leaves (Fresh) basil
3 stems (fresh) lemon thyme

So in a skillet I sauted my garlic, onion, and pepper in the olive oil. I added a little white wine then added my sliced zucchini. I let that cook till the zucchini were soft then I added the can of tomatoes. After that had time to cook and blend together I added my (Fresh) herbs and some more wine.

I cooked a pot of angel hair whole wheat pasta and served the zucchini over it with some Parmesan cheese grated too.

Mark loved it, the kids not so much but they did eat a little of it.

I got the basic recipe of tomatoes with zucchini in the skillet but I added all the garlic and peppers and the wine and the fresh herbs. Now anywhere I said fresh that means it came out of my garden. Yummmy!! Not only was this a healthy meal but it was also cheap since most of it came out of my garden. Another bonus to gardening.

Until we eat again.

No comments: