Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Technology deprived kids. . .

My kids would have you believe they are deprived of many things that their friends have and get to do.  They firmly believe they are technology deprived.  My 13 year old believes he should have a lap top, cell phone, and a TV in their room.   My 10 year old would just like a lap top.  They both have access to our computer that is in the den.  Sprat did get a lap top for Christmas this past year and he uses it for school work as well his entertainment.   I still do not believe any child needs a cell phone.  I don't let my kids talk on our home phone why would I give them a phone to carry around with them.  I know I am the mean mommy, I wear that crown proudly.  Sprat is in middle school and I know at some point I will have to break down and get him a cell phone but I am going to try and keep from doing it until he is in high school.  There are some kids that are in the second grade that have cell phones.  Please tell me why a second grader needs a cell phone?  They are either at school, where they have access to a phone if needed or are with their parents or child care provider.  I know most of my kids friends and my friends kids  all have cell phones and have had them for a while.  I still don't see the point.  My kids are not on Facebook either.   I have seen where kids are being bullied on Facebook and by kids texting ugly things to them and about them.   You can say don't give your number out to people you do not know but kids tell other kids everything so inevitably that number will wind up in the wrong hands.   I have seen where young girls that are in high school are posting pictures of themselves drunk or they are talking about how drunk they got over the weekend.  I hate to inform them but, employers look prospective employees up to see if they have a Facebook and to see what they have on their Facebook.  I would also wager a guess that colleges also look at these things too.  They may not advertise that they look, but I know they do, especially if you are applying for scholarships.   This is just my opinion and I know some of you may think I am living in the dark ages.  I grew up with out a cell phone, lap top, and brand new top of the line car and I survived.    This is for another post but, my kids will not be getting brand new cars when they turn 16 either.  They will be lucky if they get to use the truck.

No comments: