Friday, April 5, 2013

The Bird Feeder. . .

We used to keep a bird feeder with seed in our back yard.  It became more of a squirrel feeder and when we ran out of food we stopped filling it up.  It finally fell apart and we tossed it.  When dear hubby and I were out on one of our shopping excursions last week we bought another bird feeder and decided we would try again.  I love having the birds out there.  We have some of the most beautiful birds in the country in our great state.  I like being able to sit or stand in my kitchen and see them flitting about.  Some days I try to see how many I can name.  I took an ornithology (study of birds) class when I was in college and one of the requirements of the class was to learn the genus and species name for our local birds.  I was really good at it back then.  I even went with my professor one Saturday for the Great North Carolina Bird Count.  That is where bird enthusiasts go out in specific areas and count the many types of birds they see and write them down to report to the lead person heading up the count.  We identified 100 different species of birds that Saturday.  
I noticed this morning a squirrel laying over the top of my feeder with it's little head hanging down eating the bird seed.  I buy high quality bird seed for my birds and I do not like the squirrels eating it up.  The birds cannot get to the feeder when Mr. Squirrely is on it either.  This morning I decided I would get rid of the squirrel.  I got the BB gun and proceeded to take aim.  I was a little rusty and it took several shots before I got back in the groove.  The last shot I took I think I hit his hind end.  He jumped and ran and I hope he does not come back.

No comments: